Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Day three

Wednesday, May 7th

This was my third day of my project.  I knew it was going to be short because I only had until 11:45 AM to work because we had an away game at Gould.  Because of this I got up at 8:00 AM to start my day.  I decided that it would be most logical to not cook today since I had so little time, but rather to prep for tomorrow.  I chose to make risotto tomorrow, so the first thing I did was make a grocery list for what I would to cook.  Risotto is easy, so the list wasn’t that long.  All I really needed was arborio rice, pancetta, asiago go and romano cheese, and olive oil.  I already had tomatoes and onions at the test kitchen so all the bases were covered, except for a couple.  It seems that Hannafords in New London has a hard time carrying fresh herbs, and for this recipe basil plays a big role.  My other issue was that you need a little wine in this recipe.  Thankfully I have the best project sponsor and assured me that she would take care of the problems.  Along with bringing me basil, wine, and pot to cook the risotto in, she also told me she would keep me company when I cook so there is no time spent worrying about myself cooking with alcohol.  After I had communicated with Patty, it was about 10:30 AM.  I had some time before we had to leave for the game so I decided to edit and write the burrito recipe from yesterday.  This took more time then I thought and finally finished right before we had to go.


STEAK SUPREME BURRITOS

Ingredients

2 pounds sirloin

1 ½ ounce Mexican spice blend

3 cups cook white rice

2/3 cup of chopped fresh cilantro

1 can black beans

2 cups chopped green leaf lettuce

1 8-ounce package grated Mexican 4-cheese blend (about 2 cups)

¾ cup purchased corn salsa

¾ cup guacamole

¾ cup sour cream (optional)

6 burrito-size flour tortillas

Direction

     Trim of any fat on sirloin, and pound meat until it is about ¼ of an inch in thickness.  Transfer tenderized meat to a dish, then coat and rub it with Mexican spice blend. Let marinate for ½ to 1 hour.  Grill sirloin over medium-high heat for about 6 minutes on each side.  Let meat sit for about 10 minutes and cut into little piece, about the size of a fingernail.  

While meat is marinating, prepared the rest of the ingredients.  Mix white rice with chopped cilantro.  Transfer black beans into a pot and heat over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes.  Chop lettuce into 2-inch strips.

     Working with 1 tortilla at a time, heat tortilla directly over medium-high gas flame (or in dry skillet over medium-high heat) until warm, softened, and browned in spots, about 30 seconds per side.

     Place tortilla on work surface and spoon ¼ cup black beans, ½ cup rice, ¼ cup steak, ½ tablespoon sour cream, 1 tablespoon corn salsa, 1 tablespoon guacamole, 1/8 cup chopped lettuce, and ¼ cup cheese long center of tortilla; fold sides in over filling, then roll up tortilla to enclose filling.

     Place burrito seam side down and serve.  Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good recipe, though I did cringe a bit at the thought of fingernail size pieces! Maybe not such a good idea to include body parts in the recipe description.