Thursday, May 8, 2008

Day four

Thursday, May 8th

This was the fourth day of my senior project.  Today was a cooking day.  I woke up around 8:00 AM and went over everything that I needed to make the risotto.  I decided to make a BLT risotto, with pancetta acting as the bacon, basil acting as the lettuce, and tomato.  I had gotten most of my ingredients yesterday, but I still needed to pick up a few things.  I made my list, and all I needed was a loaf of bread and stuff to make an easy green salad to serve with the risotto.  As it has been the routine, I made my way over to Hannafords for the third day in a row picked up what was needed.  I returned to Proctor around 10:15 and had an hour and a half until my project sponsor, Patty was coming over to help me cook.  I got right to work.  I prepped all the ingredients for the dish.  I chopped the onion, minced the garlic, julianed the basil, and measured out the rice.  I took my time, so by the time I fished Patty was rolling up on her bike.  When Patty arrived at MLS, I thought it was only polite to give her tour of my test kitchen, which only took .5 seconds.  After the grand tour we started to make the risotto.  This was new for Patty so I was learning experience.  Forty-five minutes later, both Patty and my arms were tired of string, but the risotto was finished and looked delicious.  I had made a fresh greed salad with radishes, which are extremely fresh and in season now, and toasted almonds tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette dressing.  Add a nice loaf of bread of crusty French bread and we had ourselves a feast.  As Patty, Ben, Brooks, and I sat down at Bens lavish dinning table, apparent the silence of voices that the risotto came out great.  And it was, the BLT risotto was delicious,  all the flavors blended well with each the other and I as very happy with the end product.  The day ended as usual…cleaning dishes on a full stomach.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I shop at Hannafords in New London and they do have fresh herbs - they are located in the produce section. If you don't see what you need - ASK!
I also think you should give Ben cooking lessons and compile a list of kitchen supplies that are a must-have for all kitchens.