Monday, May 12, 2008

Day eight

Monday, May 12th

Today was the eighth day of my senior project.  My day was very predictive.  I stayed at home last night because I wanted to meet with my project mentor.  I got up around 9:00 AM and fortunately my project mentor only lives about ten minutes away from our house so I was there by 9:30 AM going over what I had been up over the past week and talking about my recipes/dishes I have cooked and plan on using in my cookbook. 

We worked for about an hour editing my recipes and talking about what worked and what didn’t go over so well, which was extreamlly helpful because even though I have had a lot experience cooking and reading/following recipes, I have not had a lot of experience writing them.  One thing that Kathy told me during the time we spent together today that really stuck with me was that she told me that this cookbook should always be in my own voice.  After I thought about it, it made so much sense and was so true.  This cookbook is needs to have my flavor in it and should resemble myself.   

By the time we were done going over my cookbook it was 11:00 AM and a friend of hers from Seattle had arrived to help her have what she calls a “test kitchen” for her up coming cookbook which it center around fall holidays.  They invited me to stay and help them, which was awesome and fun to change tracks from my cookbook to Kathy’s.  I could only stay for about and hour because I had to get back to school for practice, so at 12:00 PM I left, had lunch with my mom and headed back to Proctor. 

I had brought beef ribs back to school that my mom had picked up over the weekend for me because she knew I wanted to add them to the cookbook.  The problem was that that all I had for the recipe and nothing else, so Ben and went to the trusty Hannaford’s in New London to pick up spices to make a dry rub the ribs.  We got there at 8:50 PM and only had ten minutes to shop before they closed.  We ran to spice isle and threw the great efforts of team work, I yelled the spices to Ben as ye pulled them off the racks as fast as he could, grabbed what we needed in only ten minutes and were out.  I ended the night making the dry rub and coating the ribs so they ca marinate over night to make even more delicious for tomorrow. 

No comments: